Monday, January 13, 2014

Slow Down, Love.

It has been far too long since I last updated this blog! The holidays and winter weather has thrown any routine in my life out the window! It has been hard finding time to just sit down and take a breath, let alone write a blog! Today though, I am making myself stop, and make note of today's events, even though I'm sure it's something I won't forget.

It started last night. I got home after a long great day of Sunday church, friends and family! We had eaten Jim's Razorback Pizza for dinner, I was full, fat, happy, and satisfied! I went in to change into some PJ's, and realized my little toes and feet weren't so little anymore. My ankles were now cankles, and my once shapely legs looked like tree stumps. My nose had "swollen across my face" as Gamma Rosie Barnett had so eloquently put it, and my wedding ring nearly embedded into my skin. At the direction of my mother, I sat down and propped my feet up, so as to help with the swelling. I attributed the swelling to the amount of water I had been drinking these past few weeks. I probably average anywhere from 150-200 ounces a day. I did tell my doctor about this, but it raised no flags. My gestational diabetes test was not even borderline close to alarming, and up until last night, I had seen no sign of swelling.

I went to sleep, had a decent night of sleep, until 6:15-6:30ish. I was awoken by what I thought was the worst stomach ache I had ever experienced. I started getting up and around for work, the pain seemed to come and go, and intensify randomly! I texted my sister around 7:30 and asked her what heartburn/indigestion felt like, and explained to her what I was feeling. She said what I was feeling didn't sound anything like either heartburn or indigestion. She asked "You aren't having contractions are you?". I told her I wasn't really sure, it hadn't crossed my mind, but now that I was thinking, it would make sense. The pain had only gotten worse, and intensified all morning, no relief in sight. So she suggested I start timing when the pain intensified. Shortly after 8 I did just that. By that point, I knew these were in fact contractions.

They were coming on every 7-8 minutes, then progressed to every 4-6 minutes. I called my doctor and explained to the nurse what was happening, she finally called back, and told me to come in, just in case, and to check things out. I hopped in my car, and put my hazard lights on, (speeding slightly) to the hospital. By this point, my contractions were as close as 3 minutes apart. I was praying out loud the whole way, while also yelling at 18-wheelers to MOVE!!! ;)

I had texted my aunt Carol on my way in to the hospital, knowing she worked there, and knowing I would need a little support until Mike and my parents got there. She met me at the front door and went with me up to the clinic, and met with the doctor. Can't thank my aunt enough for being there, she was my saving grace, keeping me calm! I couldn't imagine being there by myself for all of this. About 15-20 minutes after I arrived, I got to see a doctor! He performed a pelvic exam and gave me some alarming news. Londyn was in my pelvic region, I was dilated to a 3, and 80% effaced.

"You are in pre-term labor"

Those are the scariest words for any mother, let alone a first time mother to hear. He got in my face and assured me that we would either slow these contractions and hold off labor, or we would have a baby today, and she would be JUST fine. He was amazing, and did calm my nerves a bit. My aunt Carol hugged me and prayed with me and assured me everything would be fine. She called Mike, my parents, and sister for me, and let them know what was going on.

From there I went to the emergency room and was hooked up to monitors and IV's of medicine and fluids. Mike arrived, and shortly after my parents and little brother were all there too. Mom even brought her camera, "just in case". My contractions continued to slow down and become less intense over time. After a few hours, I received the fantastic news that I could go home! They said to take it easy and rest as much as possible. The doctor in the ER informed me that it's possible I could be back in as little as an hour, or I could hold out a couple more weeks! At this point, it's just a waiting game. I time any painful contractions I may have, and anytime I feel "off", I am told to stop what I'm doing and relax.

Relaxing is hard to do for me now, because I feel like I have SO much to do to prepare for Londyn's arrival! I made a list for our hospital bag, and with the help of my sweet husband and mother, I'm getting all laundry caught up and our room cleaned and prepared for baby Londyn. I also am making a point of washing my hair every night BEFORE bed, and making sure I have my make up bag handy, so that when the time comes, I won't go in looking like a hot mess again like I did today lol.



For the friends and family who may be thinking "You should have texted or called me!"....I promise when the real thing happens, everyone will know! I just didn't want to alarm anyone prematurely, and quite frankly, I was too scared and nervous to even THINK about informing people. Safety of my baby was all that was on my mind. For those that did know, thanks for all your prayers and encouragement! Our God is SO good, and SO faithful!

1 comment: