Thursday, October 17, 2013

A lesson on what NOT to say to a 1st time mom at 22 weeks

So this past week has been very eventful. Lets start with the beginning shall we?

Last weekend I was in Fayetteville visiting family, and for Amanda's baby shower. Well, I didn't know it would be the start of a fun little story. Saturday morning, around 1:00 a.m. I shot awake with an excruciating pain in my lower back, just on the right side. Those who know me, know I've got a really high pain tolerance. This pain had me crippled. I called my poor husband crying because I was in such pain. I got up and went to the restroom, chugged some water, and finally 45 minutes later, the pain subsided enough that I could go back to sleep. I was glad that was over.

Or was it?

Nope. 2 hours later, I woke up in the same pain, except it was twice as bad. Never knew a pain like that. I hobbled to the bathroom, tried to use the restroom again. It didn't relieve anything. I got my phone out and started trying to search the internet for what could be causing the pain. Anything I read, led me to either kidney stones, or kidney infection, or water on the kidneys. None of which sounded fun or safe for little Londyn. I read that lemon juice would help dissolve the kidney stones if that is in fact what the issue was. I was willing to try anything at this point. So I found a bottle in mom's fridge, and drank 3 oz of straight lemon juice. I thought it was helping a little. I went and sat on the couch in the living room, assuming my sleep for the night was over. I even managed to wake my poor dad up, and after convincing him I didn't need to go to the emergency room, he went back to bed. So then again, about 45 minutes later, the pain subsided enough to get back to sleep. Surely it was over now.

Guess again.

Around 6:30a.m. I had my 3rd episode. I could not believe the pain could possibly be worse than the first two times. By this point, I was scared to death, all that could go through my mind, was that if I am in this much pain, I can't imagine the stress I must be putting on Londyn. I cried and cried and cried and prayed and prayed and prayed that God would protect my sweet baby. I couldn't imagine anything happening to her, which is why to this point I still wouldn't take any medicine in fear of harming her. I told myself first thing Monday morning as soon as I was back in Tulsa, I would call my doctor.

Saturday and Sunday throughout the day, about every 2-3 hours like clockwork, I would have another episode. It seemed as if I was either getting used to the pain, or it was possibly getting better! I still decided to try and call my nurse to see if they had a 24-hour phone line. They did, but it was for emergencies only, and I was afraid my situation wouldn't be considered an emergency and they'd charge me an arm and a leg. So I just decided to grin and bear it, and stick to my lemon juice routine until Monday.

Finally Monday rolls around, and I called my doctor Monday morning before work to leave a message. I didn't receive a call back, so I called my doctor after work again, and spoke with one of her nurses. She had me explain my symptoms, and said she would talk to my doctor and then call me back. Before I could get out of the parking lot, within 2 minutes, she called me back, and said the words that inspired my title of tonight's blog. These are the words you don't say to a 1st time mom at 22 weeks pregnant, with no explanation....

"You need to go straight to labor and delivery"

My....heart....dropped. I couldn't even form the word "why?"....I just hung up, called Mike and told him, and then cried uncontrollably. He left work to meet me. I gathered myself enough to then call my dad (mom was in a plane in the air still). As soon as I heard his voice, I cried again. I've never been more scared in my life. I didn't know why I was going to labor and delivery at 22 weeks, I didn't know what she thought the pain was, I just knew I was scared. I could only imagine the worst, that my body was trying to deliver the baby too early....something was wrong.

I got to the hospital and they checked me into a room, ran a few tests on me and baby. Hearing her heartbeat was the sweetest sound I could hear in that moment. She told me everything with the baby was completely fine. Now they just needed to figure out what was wrong with me. 2 hours later, tests came back. No infection...no kidney stones. So at this point I was letting a huge sigh of relief! At the same time...I was wondering what in the HECK could cause such pain?

My doctor's diagnosis? Well, she wasn't quite sure, all she knew was I was clear of any infection. She concluded that I had probably severely pulled a muscle in my back, and it was cramping up. She also told me I was calcium-deficient. So I was told to get better pre-natals, and prescribed hot baths and cold ice therapy at home. She even told me that I could take aspirin for a couple days if need be, since I was in my second trimester, it was okay for just a couple days. I haven't felt comfortable enough to do that. I have however continued having these episodes of pain, which have resulted in daily (sometimes multiple times) hot baths. Simple sitting wrong, or taking an awkward step will drop me to my knees. (In fact, midway through this blog, I had to run a hot bath and take a break because I had another major episode)The difference now, is I know our sweet baby is okay, so I'm okay. I can manage pain as long as she is okay!

Our God is so GOOD! We had quite the scare...I was picturing and imagining the absolute worst case scenario, and fairly so in my opinion since that nurse didn't tell me the reason I was going to labor and delivery. Turns out it was because they could get immediate test results rather than wait 2-3 days if I had went to my normal doctor's office.

All in all, everyone is okay, I'm fine, Londyn is fine, and Mike is fine now that he knows how to help a raging preggo manage her pain lol.

WE LOVE YOU LONDYN! Absolutely cannot WAIT to meet you and kiss those little cheeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment